St. John Cemetery now encompasses approximately 190 acres here in the community of Middle Village, NY. Though not the first cemetery established for Catholic families of the Brooklyn Diocese, St. John Cemetery is one of the largest, and serves as the main office for our Catholic Cemeteries.
To serve the ever-growing needs of families in Queens and Brooklyn, Bishop John Loughlin, the first Bishop of Brooklyn, purchased the Mills farm located in Middle Village in 1879. The cemetery was consecrated on November 27, 1881, and as time progressed and space at Holy Cross Cemetery in Flatbush became limited, St. John Cemetery increasingly began to serve the needs of more parishioners of Brooklyn as well as Queens.
In 1933, the acreage on the southern side of Metropolitan Avenue was developed and made available for interments and, finally in 1947, the last parcel was procured and developed, bringing St. John Cemetery to the one hundred and ninety acres currently maintained and cared for.
In 2007, St. John Cemetery was transferred from the Diocese of Brooklyn to Saint John’s Cemetery Corporation to enhance the supervision and operation of this cemetery. The Saint John’s Cemetery Corporation was created in 1872 by a Special Act of the New York State Legislature at the request of the first Bishop of Brooklyn, Bishop John Loughlin, for when the Cemetery of St. John was first established. Today, Saint John’s Cemetery Corporation owns and operates all the cemeteries for families of the Brooklyn Diocese, including Holy Cross Cemetery in Brooklyn, Mt. St. Mary Cemetery in Flushing, and St. Charles/Resurrection Cemeteries located in Farmingdale, Long Island.
St. John includes Section 056 for Diocesan Priests as well as resting places within St. John Cemetery for the following religious congregations. It is with great gratitude for their years of prayerful and sacrificial service to the local church that we recognize them: